Friday, December 31, 2010

In Retrospect

I suppose if I had thought ahead, I could have written a nice introspective retrospective of 2010. But I didn't. And with just 68 minutes left of the year, I don't think I am capable of deep thoughts right now. Just very full from an excellent dinner and tired.

Carter probably summed it up best anyway when we did our "shots" of eggnog a few minutes ago. "Thanks for the best year of my life!" he said. (This he says after sacrificing his New Year's Eve babysitting so our friends could join us and another couple out for an early dinner.)

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Of course, we are blessed that way -- that somehow every year does get better. I think it's the company we keep!

Looking at the big picture, yes, it was a tremendous year. I was loved more and therefore able to love more... I was blessed more and therefore able to give more... You get the picture.

We asked our wise young man what was so great about 2010 that made it the best of his 12 years. He said the travel (Washington, D.C., and Florida) was fun, school is good and it was great to be on the baseball tournament team. "I really learned that you have to work hard to get what you want. You work hard, it pays off," he said -- I think referring to his improvement in baseball but really, giving us all a built-in resolution for 2011, don't you think?

All I can say is that as tough as it is to say goodbye to a great year, it sure is easy to welcome in a new one that promises to be filled with just as many blessings or, if life's trend continues, even more!

I hope you can take a minute before the clock strikes 12 to recall the many blessings God bestowed upon you this year.

Happy New Year!

No comments: