Friday, December 3, 2010

Prep Work

I have been getting excited for my upcoming race -- which is suddenly tomorrow already. I did some training over the past month or so and, coming into this week, felt prepared to do OK for my first 5-mile race.

But that feeling has been dwindling a bit this week as I've kept an eye on the forecast. Naturally, a race called the Frostbite 5 should conjure up images of running in frosty temps and even rain, sleet or snow. But I wasn't thinking that. I was just thinking I would do pretty well (for me) with any temperatures -- as long as the roads were dry. Now it looks like we're going to get 2-4 inches of snow overnight and into the morning!

So the prep work sort of goes out the frosty window. Now I have no expectations of making good time. But I do expect I'll have one heckuva war story to tell! That should make it fun in a cold, wet, possibly slippery way!

Ahhhh, why do we do this to ourselves??

Because we can.

Carter said he is trying a new exercise regimen, too. This for a kid who loves ice cream as much as his mother ... and eggnog and Christmas cookies, too. I guess it's better to start before Christmas than wait until New Year's when you might have to dig out of a bigger hole.

His basketball coach suggested they do 100 push ups a day. I couldn't even do 100 in a week! I said I'd do them with him as a show of support -- but not until after my race! I don't want anything hurting tomorrow... except maybe my pride if I fall on my butt or my face.

But that just makes for a better story anyway, doesn't it?

No comments: