Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Imagine

I was Carter's age when John Lennon was shot to death outside his New York apartment on Dec. 8, 1980. Just like he doesn't always pay attention to "current events," I was not aware that on that day we lost one of the biggest rock stars and artists in history. A man who influenced millions and continues to do so because of his songs and his message about peace.

I have always liked the song Imagine and his Christmas song Happy Xmas (War is Over). However, I was not aware that some of these "famous" quotes in history were said by John Lennon. But it gives you an idea who he was ...

“Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” (It never turns out the way we expect, but we know that in the end, it's for the best, right?)

“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.” (Oh boy, where to start with this one? Not in MY house, of course!)

“If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.” (or demanded the latest smartphone or flatscreen TV... you name it.)

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” (Sharing dreams with your best friend is the best part of marriage!)

“I don’t know which will go first – rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity.” (Now isn't that a sad prediction? Keep God first. You can always sing your praise to Him with a rock 'n' roll beat!)

“I’m not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I’ve always been a freak. So I’ve been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I’m one of those people.” (It's taken pretty much a lifetime to love myself as I am for who I am. I'm not going to change now. I'm one of those people, too!)

“I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It’s just that the translations have gone wrong.” (Amen.)

Every year we hear more and more versions of many of the same old Christmas carols. This one can't be duplicated. I invite you to read the lyrics of one of my favorites, Happy Xmas (War is Over), and then view the video. You're guaranteed to listen to the song differently going forward and, perhaps, appreciate what YOU have this Christmas!

Happy Xmas (War is Over)

So this is Xmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Xmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Xmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Xmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun
And so happy Xmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
War is over, if you want it
War is over now

Happy Xmas



And Happy Xmas to you!

No comments: