Thursday, December 16, 2010

Interfaith Feud

Knowing that they were taking on Immanuel Lutheran this evening, some of Carter's basketball teammates joked, "Hey, we're playing some of your kind tonight!" Gotta love those funny Catholics!

As it turned out, our local Lutheran school is even smaller than Assumption, so they had a few 6th-graders play on their 7th-grade team so they could at least have a "bench." In a way -- since they were my people -- I felt bad for them, but it sure felt good to get a healthy win! Yes, 34-18 is quite healthy.

Of course, when we jump out with a 15-point lead, that also means our bench got extra playing time, too. Thus, the photo opportunities. (Finally.)

During warm-ups, Carter sure looks like he has hops. But he never did get a decent chance to shoot during the game.

Here he is waiting to rebound the free-throw. You can see there are plenty of 7th-grade boys who are taller than he is!

Here he finds someone his own size. You know what they say: Pick on someone your own size...

...especially if he steals the ball from you! This happened way too fast but that is Carter taking a tumble trying to get the ball back. Amazingly, he did not get a foul here. I don't think. I guess I was so happy to see him get right back up that I wasn't paying attention!

He was well enough to stay in and play some more anyway!

I was glad the coach gave him some extra time. He is feeling a little more comfortable -- and confident -- getting the ball and knowing what to do with it. This will be helpful since we have another game tomorrow night, plus tournament games Saturday, then games Monday and Tuesday.

The boys are pretty excited. I heard one of them say, "Just like that, we're 4-7!" I guess if we stay on a streak, we could finish at .500 or better since we have 2 games in January!

Of course, by then, my Lutherans may be ready for a comeback, too!

No comments: