Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Angels We Have Heard on High...

The only thing I love more than listening to Christmas carols is singing them.

So I was excited to be able to accompany the confirmation students tonight on their annual caroling excursion to sing to some of our church members who are in nursing homes or assisted-living centers.

I was one of the drivers so I packed in a few extra kids in the CRV and we caravaned with another group down to Nekoosa, where we had two women to sing to and, basically, every other resident as well.

We regretted that we didn't have much time because of the travel time so we could only sing about 6 songs. We sort of walked around in the halls singing because so many of the residents came out of their rooms and sat in the chairs to hear us.

A couple things I learned. One is that we had two vehicles full of boys with just one girl and three moms. We need more of a mix next time so those low (sometimes out-of-tune) voices don't drown out the girl power.

Secondly, we need more time. I felt so bad that we had to desert those poor people while they were still calling out requests! I explained to Carter that some of these residents might not get many visitors and certainly not singing ones, so they really appreciated our visit. No matter how we sounded!

I guess, like me, they appreciate Christmas music in all of its forms. Whether we sound like angels ...or Alvin & the Chipmunks...

But they're pretty cute, aren't they?

No comments: