Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Doing the Most Good

Today was the kind of day that illustrated the true meaning of Christmas for me. Spent the day surrounded by the spirit of the season and didn't have to spend a dime!

Started off the day with the annual Golden Mass at Assumption High School. This service is held each year on the last day of school before the holiday break, featuring music by the high school choir and band, with attendees including all the students in middle and high school, plus parents and alumni.

My favorite part is when we all get to sing the Hallelujah Chorus together at the end. I still remember both the soprano and alto parts! My least favorite part is seeing them walk my son to the back of the room because, yes, he did not feel well. At least he didn't faint. Another kid (a high-schooler) did, though! What is in the water at that school of ours??

We convinced Carter he was OK to stay in school for the day -- partly because we knew it would not be a stressful day-before-break school day. And partly because we selfishly had lunch plans with our friend Christine and her family. (It's the second year doing this -- Golden Mass then lunch -- so it's practically a tradition!)

Did enjoy a nice lunch with her family. Just enough ribbing back and forth to make it seem like a family Christmas meal! Loved it!

This afternoon, I went over to my friend Becky's house to visit and pick up some scrapbooking materials (she's my dealer). Had a nice visit. We realized we hadn't seen each other in person since baseball season. That's crazy when we live only a mile or so away from each other! So we reconnected... which is another wonderful part of the holiday season.

Hubby picked up Carter from school so he wouldn't have to ride the bus when he doesn't feel 100 percent. He was feeling better than this morning but still had some stomach issues. I think he's been one step away from the flu all week. Hopefully now that's he's off, he can get enough rest and bounce back.


He was well enough to go bell ringing with me. We had a 2-hour stint at the west-side IGA again. This time, we both wore Santa hats and looked irresistible to people with money. Or something like that. We did well and, as Carter pointed out, "People are so generous here!" At first I thought he meant at that particular store. He did. But he also meant in little old Wisconsin Rapids. "I don't think they'd be like this in New York City," he said. "They'd probably worry about someone stealing the red kettle."

OK, he does need to learn that big cities aren't all about crime. But I do agree, we had a good "spot" to do our Red Kettle service "doing the most good." They were nice, friendly folks. No one made fun our hats (and it was probably a good call to not wear any Vikings gear either). Whatever works for a good cause.

When we got home tonight we convinced Daddy it was time to play some cards. That's our Christmas vacation tradition. Daddy beat us both at Dirty Rummy, then beat me at 3 to 13. Yes, of course I let him win. We've got 10 more days together. We wanted to boost his confidence so he'll play again!

Hmmm. I probably shouldn't fib so close to Christmas. I hear somebody's watching me...

No comments: