Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not So Tough Love

I should have known my new "tough love" pact would eventually blow up in my face. And by eventually, I mean a day later...

Carter was feeling under the weather again this morning so, much like the Ground Hog Day movie with its deja vu theme, I again suggested we wait it out a bit and I would drive him to school. Because he was going to school!

The difference today was that he was a bit nauseous and couldn't choke down any breakfast. He just felt that crummy. I did get him to have an orange and we grabbed some crackers on the way to school. We didn't get far with those either. He just didn't feel right. I said, "Just try, please. And see how you do."

I just don't want him missing a bunch of school and falling behind -- especially in new classes this semester. But yes, I did feel guilty, guilty, guilty the whole drive to Iola. Actually, I didn't even get all the way there before my cell phone rang and it was Carter saying he just didn't think he could make it all day. So again, evil mother says, "Just try to make it to 10 and then you can call me." I explained I wasn't even at work yet and didn't know if Grandpa and Grandma were even around today to pick him up if I needed them to. So he agreed to try and tough it out some more.

When I got to work, I called my in-laws and Grandpa said he could get him if Carter called. Carter didn't last until 10 a.m. either. It was about 9:15 when he called and we had to call the Grandpa Cab to take him home.

I had hoped I could get through my deadline stuff at work by noon and get home to him. But you can never count on anything to go smoothly, when you really, really need it to, can you? I had some unexpected "fires" flare up and it turned into a hellish kind of day. By the time Jim called me around 12:30 (from the San Diego airport) I was ready to run away! It sure is tough when you need a hug and your hubby is 2 time zones away! Good thing he'll be home in an hour or so.

I ended up getting out of work early -- by a whole 30 minutes. Got home and snuggled with Carter awhile and then, when he convinced me he felt pretty darn good, I had him do homework. While he did that it was to the Scrap Cave for me! I just needed to do 2 pages to regain my sanity. Trust me, it is the best therapy. I have to concentrate on what I am doing so I can be creative -- and not screw up, of course. So there is no room for outside, negative thought of any kind.

When I was done with that, I felt pretty good. That's just how it works.

I tucked in Carter, who insists nothing cures him like his mom's touch. So I hugged him some more and I hope that works. That "tough" business is so behind me!

No comments: