Sunday, January 9, 2011

Un-Decking the Halls

I realized today there are several reasons I dislike the "un-decking the halls" process.

One is the obvious -- Christmas is over! I always say I am going to spend a lot of my holiday season just relaxing and enjoying the tree and the decorations.

But I don't.

Suddenly the season is over and I wonder where the time went! This happens every year. The only reason I really kept an eye on the tree this year is because gradually almost all of the lights on our pre-lit tree burned out! So then I'd have to throw on a quick string of 100 lights to fill in the gap. Today when I un-trimmed the tree (yes, I can make up words), I noticed we are down to one little strip around the bottom that works still! Dang. For now I packed it away for next year because it's too late to get one on clearance. The stores have moved onto Valentine's Day.

The second reason that un-decking the halls is not fun is because it becomes a one-person job. My enthusiastic helper who loved decking the halls with me is nowhere to be found. Now why is that?

Probably because he is smart enough to know it is a pain to put all of these ornaments back in their correct containers, plus put those lights away in the correct fashion so we don't drag out tangled messes next year. Doesn't that sound fun to you?

When the last ornament and bent-up hook is put away, I can see why else I hate to see it all come to an end. My house looks naked! Sure, it's nice to have some of the "Christmas clutter" gone but it looks kind of bare with no signs of the season around.

Oh wait, I see I've got enough eggnog in the fridge for one more glass! Fa-la-la-la-la!

No comments: