Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Amazing Grace

Since I am one of those fickle Lutherans who isn't required to give up something for Lent -- unlike my Catholic better half -- I'm not doing it. In my mind my Lent has come and gone. I've already sacrificed everything from my health to my sanity and quality of living in the first 40+ days of this year.

If God is willing, I'd like to move on from here, please.

Still making progress. My witch doctor (and I told her I call her that) has done some incredible voodoo magic to sweep away some nasty old cobwebs and help me clean house in my mind and soul. (Perhaps one day it will even extend to my real house!)

So today, with hubby half a country away, I was able to drive to and from Iola, run some errands in town, pick Carter up from basketball practice and go to Ash Wednesday service and soup supper at church. Sadly, I couldn't have dreamed of doing those "normal" things just a few weeks ago!

The confirmation students and parents are responsible for serving the soup suppers during Lent and cleanup. We grownups sent the kids upstairs to church while we wrapped up K.P. duty, which took another half hour. So I missed the ashes, but heard the end of the sermon and was there for communion.

Now Sunday, I was unable to take that giant leap forward. My stomach was in such knots and my head was practically spinning at the notion of walking all the way to the front of the church for communion. Tonight, though, I just kept taking deep breaths and praying and, well, singing.

Totally fitting that we were singing Amazing Grace:

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come;
'tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

Grace is amazing, isn't it? I made it up front, albeit a little shaky, took communion and made it safely back to my seat -- and stayed upright. Then we got in the car, and grace did lead us home!

Thanks be to God.

No comments: