Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love Lifted Me

Just because it's Valentine's Day doesn't mean I have get all mushy.

But I will.

I told hubby not to get me anything for Valentine's Day. And I meant it. Sure, there's lots of times we say that, don't mean it and secretly hope for something big. But not this time. I told him he's already given me my gift this year... carting my butt around, comforting me after my meltdowns and holding my hand while I take my baby steps.

That really has been the greatest gift.

But I won't turn down my Tony Stewart tin of popcorn or that "Let's pretend I'm somewhere warm" tanning package. I also got a genuine "Even though I'm a moody teenager, I still love you" hug.

I can feel the love! And it feels good!

Really, it was a good day. Typical busy stuff at work, then we had to stop and pick up the car at the shop, where they were resetting some computer gauge. The plan was that we'd pick Carter up, go to the garage, drop Jim off so he could drive the car to a friend's and ride up to Stratford for the boys' basketball game... while Carter and I have a Valentine's dinner date in town.

Well we did pick Carter up and hubby noted, while pointing to the orange light, "You'll have to get gas soon." Oh boy. I don't need any added stress while driving! So we drop Jim off and head to the gas station first. Didn't get far before he called and said I had to come back and unlock the car. Really? I was getting a little concerned about back-tracking when we hadn't made it to the gas station yet. But we went back and did a drive-by unlocking with Carter holding the key out the window. That worked so we kept going. Then my phone rings again and Jim said to wait where we are because he forgot two things in the back seat that he needed for the game. So we turn around and thankfully didn't have long to wait.

Yes, I did make it to the gas station OK. Meanwhile, Carter couldn't decide where to eat, so we just went through Culver's drive-thru to save time. I got his food and realized I never ordered for myself. Some dinner date.

Since I was feeling ultra-confident after last night's shopping spree (ha), I stopped at Wal-Mart to get a few groceries -- and also found a foam roller, which is a painful but helpful rehabilitation tool for my hip and IT band. I am game for anything to keep me moving forward to Square Two, you know!

While I was in the store, my mother-in-law called and said they were coming out to the house to drop off Carter's Valentine and cookies. So we booked it home and entertained guests just long enough to miss Glee (which I will catch later) but not too long that it interfered with homework, laundry or work on the foam roller.

It wouldn't have been a romantic evening if Jim has stayed home anyway. This is not the kind of moaning and groaning he likes.

Of course, he does miss first dibbs on the cookies -- that Carter hasn't decided yet if he will share. It won't break my heart if he doesn't. You oughta know by now my heart belongs to ice cream first.

Oh, I mean Jim first... Honest!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: