Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mild is Good

The sun was shining... the brats and burgers were sizzling on the grill... and Carter was ready to swing his baseball bat.

Sounds like a typical summer day around here. But no, this was a Sunday in February in Wisconsin. I know we could still get dumped on a whole big bunch, but I for one am enjoying this mild winter. And tasting into a good grilled burger made it even better.

I realize that technically, we could grill out all winter. But we can't necessarily stay outside to flip the burgers without freezing. Today I got to stay outside. Not in shorts or anything silly. But a nice light windbreaker. With the sun on my face. Loved it!

That, unfortunately, was my only venture outside.

We got up early and went to church... my first return since I was sick. I didn't faint or anything... but also didn't have the guts to walk up in front and take communion either. It was just good to be back!

After church, we practically had to chain Carter to a chair and make him sit and work on a research paper about the pilgrims all day. While he did that, I worked a little in my Scrap Cave, but mostly kept an eye on Carter and kept his momentum going.

We did take a break at 2 p.m. to work on a German video. Sounded easy enough. Carter had to give a tour of his room and point out some objects and speak in German only. This was only supposed to take 2 minutes. But first, he had to clean his room -- or throw things on the top bunk or under the bed, out of the camera's view. Then he had to write a script and look up words he didn't know. Then he had to memorize it. We sort of cheated, er improvised, here. I taped a big ol' cue card on the front of my shirt and he could sneak peeks at that while I ran the camera. Seemed like an hour's work for a 90-second video. But I suppose that's how commercials work, too. The only thing is I don't know how to edit anything so he had to make the whole thing work in one take. Well, 4 if you count the ones we deleted.

After that, we cruised down to the batting cage, where hubby was helping kids all afternoon. Did a brief stint there then headed over to Jim's sister's house. Our nephew Colin turns 18 tomorrow so we had a birthday gathering for him. Good food, good cake and good visit.

Had to keep it short so Carter could return to his research paper. I hope at least by now the Mayflower has landed.

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Weren't his ancestors on the Mayflower?

Robyn Austin said...

Yes, that's why he chose it. However, the teacher doesn't want it written in a personal way so he has to stick with basic history instead of my great-grandfather (11 greats) came over on the Mayflower. Sad. I think it would be more interesting for Carter to write and for anyone to read!!