Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Home What?

Carter's cross country career may be in jeopardy before it even starts. And it's my fault.

I was glancing through his "Basics of Cross Country" training manual tonight and this sentence under the Nutrition category jumped out at me:

The proper approach to a training diet for cross country is balance and moderation. In general, mother's home cooking is the very best training table.

Mother's home what?

Oh boy. He's in trouble.

You know this undomestic goddess is not exactly heating things up in the home cooking category. Unless you count microwave heat. My version of "home" cooking means I open the box, bag or can at home. I briefly use the oven or stove in our home. Or I pick up the pizza or (insert fast food here) and take it to our home.

So this business of balancing carbs, proteins and fats is going to be quite the challenge. Especially when we've got a picky eater or two in the house. Chicken, fish, pork... veggies... Carter is not really a fan. If he could eat pizza for every meal, he would.

Then again, who wouldn't?

It seems this foreign fall sport may be impacting more than just our new high-schooler. Looking at the big picture, it can only be a good thing, right? All of us may be getting a little more active (you know the competitive side of me forced me to start running again) and eating more healthy. That's a win-win situation.

Except for the mother who has to learn to "home cook."...And the poor souls who have to eat it!

Bring on the training!

No comments: