Sunday, August 26, 2012

Visiting Hours

Amongst all our colorful fun the past few days, Carter has had some special visits.

On Thursday, he spent a few hours at his old babysitter's place, hanging out with the young kids still there -- who remember him and, for some reason, adore him. I appreciate that he took time out of his busy schedule to do that. They certainly enjoyed it, his babysitter loved seeing how much he has grown up and Carter liked seeing them, too. Glad he still does that once a summer.

Yesterday, Carter had one of his classmates/cross country buddies over. I've been chastised for saying they "played" together or he had a "slumber party" -- they "hung out" and he stayed the night. I'm not sure when they finally hit the hay last night, but they were still asleep when I got home from early church. I actually woke them up when it was almost 11 a.m. so they could have breakfast.

Ahh, breakfast.... Hubby brought home the bacon, I fried it up in a pan -- and two teenage boys devoured it! Nothing left for Dad when he got home from church! Good thing they can run it off later!

I ran off my one piece, too. I got my new Garmin GPS running watch delivered yesterday. This is for Carter and I to share. It works via satellite so it tracks your mileage and time and pace. Then you can upload it to your computer if you want and see your pace for each mile, etc. I figure this will be a great way for Carter to figure out if he's running his first mile too fast or in general, see how much he improves over the cross country season. Yes, I secretly have wanted one of these for years, but I needed a valid excuse!

So I tried it out on a run around Lake Wazeecha today. The path I took was 3.85 miles so I just kept going to make it an even 4. No I'm not in any shape to run all that. I did a combo where I ran 9 minutes, walked 1 and repeated throughout the course. Two weeks from today I have a 10K trail run I am doing with some friends. I am really not prepared but have accepted that I will have to do some walking in that. I'll still earn the cool t-shirt!

After I got back from the run, I told the boys visiting hours were over and it was time to shuttle Tyler home so Carter and I could do school supply shopping. A necessary evil. The great thing is that this year he just needed some notebooks and a few binders. Nothing major at all. Yet. We'll see if that changes when classes resume Wednesday!

After shopping, I took a few minutes to relax and read on the deck. Then Jim's sister came over for a brief visit, too.

What a great weekend. Between Friday night's scrapping and non-bonfire gathering to today's visitors, it was nice to not have plans so we could say "yes" and be available.

Just another reason to feel so blessed!

No comments: