Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ready to Run

Life as parents would be boring if we never were caught by surprise, right?

All summer we have been strongly encouraging Carter to return to football this fall. After all, in his debut season, they had use for him -- mainly as a blocking decoy, but still, they needed him. He even caught that 2-point conversion once, which we thought would be enough to convince him to try it another season.

But all summer, when we've brought it up, we hear the same refrain, "I'm not playing football. I don't like playing it." Well I know I wouldn't want to play either and get run over every other play, but we kept thinking he should at least give it one more try -- after all, I have an Assumption football sweatshirt with his name on it!!

Why do we care about football? Well it's not football so much as having him play a fall sport. We already knew basketball was out of the running this winter. He wasn't good enough at it to play much or have any fun. So with no football or basketball, he would already be down to one sport in high school. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- but we like the positives that come from participating in school sports... friendships, dedication, team building and a requirement to keep his grades up.

So we've enlisted the help of people he actually respects or admires when it comes to sports -- in other words, not parents. But no one could convince him football was the route to go this fall. Now in the past, soccer was a perfect fit. But Assumption doesn't have a boys high school soccer program at this time, only girls.

Monday night as we sat at supper we reminded Carter the fall sports season signup meeting was coming up Wednesday (today) so we'd better decide about football. (Hey, we're nothing if not diligent.) Then, out of the blue, he mentions a friend texted him he should go out for cross country.

Cross country??? You mean.... running??

Hubby and I look at each other and don't say anything. We are sort of shocked into silence and really, if he wants to do this... and die trying (or feel like he is)... we shouldn't stop him.

So I printed out a "Couch to 5K" running plan for him and I'll stay out of it. For now. But seriously, I need to get him started. Oh yes, he signed up for a sport he hasn't participated in. Ever. He hasn't run regularly. Ever. And certainly not this summer, though he has been in a fitness center 3 to 5 days every week this summer. Like I said, this is going to be interesting.

I guess all we can do is get him some "real" running shoes sooner rather than later and hope for the best.

I might as well print out a copy of the "Couch to 5K" plan for myself. I don't want to be accused of just talking the talk... I gotta walk the walk. Or in this case, run it!

No comments: