Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Athletic Supporter

When I called home this afternoon to check in on Carter and make sure he was ready for his ride to cross country practice, he asked if we planned to go to the volleyball game tonight.

First, I was surprised there was an official game this early in the season. Secondly, I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) that he knew about it. Here is a boy who can't remember to make his bed in the morning but he's apparently got the girls' volleyball schedule memorized!

I knew hubby didn't want to go but since I haven't gotten my "daughter fix" for awhile, I agreed to take Carter. Actually, he just had to stay late after practice since the freshman and JV teams were playing at 6 p.m. And not so surprisingly, his 3 classmate/teammates also stayed for the games.

Who knew 14-year-old boys liked volleyball that much?

I had to laugh. They were so casual about it. Like they were really just athletic supporters, so to speak. But I saw right through that -- especially when they planted themselves on the bleachers right in front of the Freshman game. Then our freshman football players joined them when their practice was done, too.

I'll admit, it was fun to watch, too, to see who had talent and who was going to be playing JV already on their way up to varsity. And, naturally, visiting with other classmate moms is always a plus.

I'm glad we went. The girls must have appreciated all the extra athletic support, too, because all 3 of our teams won. Hopefully we'll get to another few games this season.

I'll just have to ask Carter when they are.

No comments: