Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Frenzy

There seemed to be way too many things on the "to do" list today -- but they were all good.

Hubby and I worked from home today since we had to get Carter into the doctor for his sports physicals. On Fridays when we get out early for summer hours (3 p.m.), it's not worth driving over and getting there at 10 a.m. instead of 7:30.

Carter's physical went well. He found out he officially is 5'4" ... now 2 inches taller than Mom, not just 1. Yikes. He weighs a lot less than me, too! So he was cleared for high school sports.

I wanted to keep him on track with his running, so I figured today I'd join him. Yes, the rumors are true. I am coming out of retirement. I even signed up to do 2 races with friends in the coming 2 months. I know, what I am thinking? I guess Carter inspired me to pick it back up after a 2-month hiatus. I figure if he can start from scratch, so can I.

What I learned, though, is that someone 30 years younger than me can get out of the starting gates a heckuva lot quicker than I can. We went running together, just 2 miles. We first walked 5 minutes to warm up and loosen up. Then we took off. I told him I was just going to jog at an easy pace since it had been so long since I ran. I half expected he'd stick by me and complain of various aches and pains, as he has done in the past. But no, he took off and I ate his dust. I wisely keep my slow and steady pace and did manage 2 miles -- and managed to lose sight of Carter ahead of me.

When I turned into the driveway, he hits the stopwatch on his iPod and informs me he finished and WAITED for me for 4 minutes and 13 seconds. Nice. I am glad he is that competitive! While admittedly, it is a bit humbling, it is honestly refreshing versus the aforementioned whining. So maybe this will be a good thing for both of us.

Later this afternoon, I took him to Shippy Shoes in Stevens Point and we got our new "proper" running shoes. We also met up with his friend Harry from Amherst, who is spending the night here. They hadn't seen each other all summer so they are having fun.

At least we assume so. Part of our Friday schedule also included going out to eat with friends at Anchor Bay Bar & Grill on the Wisconsin River. There were 11 of us in all. After a great meal, 4 of us headed over to Hotel Mead in Rapids to listen to "Tunes on the Terrace." Between friendly visit and nice weather, it was quite the pleasant evening.

The only thing left on my "to do" list is checking to see what I missed in the Olympics today. Then get to bed!

TGIF!

No comments: