Saturday, September 22, 2012

Extra Innings Fun

Woke up to a foggy morning in Boston. Went out on our balcony and could just make out the Harvard rowing team practicing on the Charles River below us. You don't see that every day!

You know what else you don't see? SNOW!

We weren't even out of bed yet and we were getting texts from back home in Wisconsin about the snow. Unreal. Normally we'd be thrilled we weren't home, but we felt bad for Carter who had to play in Pep Band before today's 11 a.m. homecoming game and then march at halftime. The snow melted but it didn't get too warm. He said he was freezing. I'm sure he got over it and is having a ball tonight at the homecoming dinner and dance.

Jim's sister sent us a photo of the boy all dressed up. That makes us miss him all the more... but, we are having fun.

Had breakfast this morning with two of the women that Jim knows through work. They're the ones who got us the tickets to the Red Sox game. It was their company tickets, which meant nice club seats with the rich and sometimes famous. So we hear. Anyway, Claire and Suzanne were a hoot and I'm glad I finally got to meet them.

After breakfast, we packed up, checked out and headed to Fenway Park. Our seats were indeed awesome. Not only a great view of the game behind home plate, but we actually did have a brush with the famous part of rich & famous.

My fellow gearhead fans will appreciate this one. NASCAR driver -- well, commentator now -- Michael Waltrip sat in our club seat area. Jim is the one who encouraged me to go say "hi." I did. And told him we were from Dick Trickle's hometown and asked about a photo. He was very accommodating and hugged me close. I mean, he was willing to let Jim take 3 pictures 'til I was sure one turned out right!

 

Who's luckier than me?

Back to the game... Fenway Park and the famous Green Monstah (as they say it in Boston) are celebrating 100 years. So much history. Very cool -- and quaint -- ballpark. Game went into extra innings and the Orioles ended up beating the Sox 9-6 in 12.

After that we headed northwest out of town, across New Hampshire and into Vermont. Ended up as far as Barre, near Montpelier. We are staying at a place called the Hollow Inn. Not worried about dreaming about Headless Horsemen and Sleepy Hollow tonight, though. Something tells me I'll be dreaming about racin'!

Sweet dreams!

No comments: