Sunday, September 2, 2012

Making House Calls

Sadly my dad's health has been on quite the roller coaster in recent weeks, not only seeing concerning highs and lows but taking dangerous twists and turns.

Less than a week ago, he was in an alarming state, having trouble walking and talking and seeming to be at the point he may not be able to continue life without some sort of medical assistance or nursing home care. But on that same troublesome day, his Shingles pain miraculously disappeared and, knock on wood, has not reappeared. Weird.

It's hard to be 4 hours away and not fully comprehend what's happening. After talking to him on the phone last night and just hearing the weakness in his voice, we decided to head up north today to pay a visit. Due to some last-minute changes, our schedule for the day cleared up after church so we felt compelled to see him and see if we couldn't do something to cheer him up or at least let him know we care.

Turns out we weren't the only ones who had that idea. It was an impromptu gathering of 3 of my sisters, a brother-in-law, a niece and a nephew. While it was a great show of support, I think my parents were a bit overwhelmed. They were definitely tired after our visit but I suspect most of their days now are like that -- with or without company.

On a positive note, my dad seemed better than reports had indicated. He was alert, eating well and only losing his train of thought a few times. He sadly is hung up on how much longer he's going to grace us with his presence. "What do ya think, Robyn? Am I gonna make it?" No child at any age wants to hear that question from their parent.

I told him out loud I was quite sure he had a few of his 9 lives left... but inwardly was thinking I'm not so sure. There have been so many swings in his health lately that I don't know at what point there will be a downward swing without a upward one on its tail.

So I just sat next to him on the couch, rested my head on his shoulder and just enjoyed the moment. I took a close look at this father, grandfather, family man and friend. Amazingly, he still has a full head of hair. But when did he get so wrinkled? I looked at his arms and hands and saw little bumps and bruises competing for space with age spots on his nearly translucent skin. Just to mix up the landscape, countless blue veins stand out like a road map, reflecting his many travels in 84 years. Oh, Dad, you have gotten so old!

I have to admit that I am in denial about where this roller coaster ride could take us next. But I allowed myself to shed a few tears on the long ride back to Rapids tonight.

 I am so glad we went, though, and so grateful that he was not in the severe pain we witnessed during our visit 3 weekends ago. That alone just might gain him one of 9 lives back.

You never know. After all, we're not the Operator of this crazy ride. All we can do is buckle up and hang on.

1 comment:

Writer Rahn said...

Can relate - we are here for you - for anything - anytime. You've got the right idea though - spending the time now - cherishing every moment, it's these moments you can put in your memories box and pull them out when needed.