Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturday Shorts

Just some briefs to keep you up to speed...


Lost Communications: Yesterday was a bit of a mixed up day. I'll keep this short. Basically I went over to the Fox Cities after work because Carter had a cross country meet in Neenah. He said he was running at 6:30 and we checked online and yes, the varsity boys were running at 6:30. Only they changed the freshman up and had them run on JV instead for the first time this season. So after doing some shopping (for Jim and Carter, not me) at the Appleton mall, I show up at the meet and Carter had already run. I missed it. And I was livid. Partly mad at me for not just going straight there but mostly mad at Carter for not letting us know of the change. He could have called or texted us, I said. But he said his phone was at home and out of minutes. Well after giving him the phone lecture, I did something stupid and lost mine on the way to the car when it fell out of my camera bag. So I had to backtrack and" front track" multiple times. Bottom line, some very, very nice person turned it into the concession stand so I got it back! Whew. Relief. Then I hit the road, still mad, of course.

Paying it Forward: On the way home, thanks to road construction, I got detoured an extra 20 miles and was stewing about that. Luckily that detour took me right past King Cone or I don't know how I would have made it those last 15 miles! I had a $5 gift certificate I had to use up. This older couple let me in line ahead of them. They must have seen the desperation on my face. I got my ice cream and gave the gift certificate and the worker said I can't get change back. So I said she could put the balance toward the couple's bill behind me since they were so nice to let me go first before I cracked. I did feel better after that.

September Morn: Without even looking at the calendar, I knew it was September again because the Stink Bugs are back. I hate those things! Honestly, they appeared overnight, seeking shelter in the house and stinking it up when I do what any homeowner would do and squish the life out of them! Yuck.

Birthday Girl: September 1st also means our little girl is 8 years old today! Hard to believe we've had our kitty that long ... and she still doesn't listen or play fetch or anything. But we love her (Daddy does most) and we're glad she is the picture of health (and beauty). Happy Birthday, Sylvester!

Cool Runnings: The cooler month (for today anyway) also allowed us to shut off the A/C for a day. Whoo-hoo. Bring in the fresh air! So I got out for a long run -- 5.34 miles according to my Garmin running watch (love that thing). I didn't die or anything but I think that last mile getting me to 6.2 might be a killer next week in my race. Oh well, good thing I don't care about my time. I'm just signed up to force myself to run and get in shape again! As long as I was getting steps (and the windows were open), I dusted and vacuumed and even mopped the floor. Trust me, I'm scratching the surface of what I really should get done.

Holiday Weekend: Since we do have a long weekend, I didn't feel guilty at all about taking a little time to sit out on the deck and read. Plus, since it's Labor Day weekend, I figure it'll rain the rest of the weekend like it typically tends to do. Had to take advantage of the nice weather today!

Commercial Message: Today's blog was brought to you by Assumption Royal Cards! Oh yes, I can blatantly promote whatever I want in this blog!! Carter is selling Royal Cards again if anyone in the Rapids area is interested in getting discounts at various businesses. They are only $10 and they pay for themselves in no time. Let him (or me) know if you want one. Thank you and have a nice day!

No comments: