Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Life Goes On...

I don't know how anyone on the East Coast ever gets to watch anything on late-night television. It's just so... late!

Knowing we had to get up at 6 a.m. to catch our flight, hubby and I went to bed at a decent time and were unaware that the world was coming to an end, according to certain football fans.

I mean, the sun still rose in Burlington, Vermont, this morning so we were still in the dark., so to speak. A routine check of Facebook and morning SportsCenter quickly brought us up to speed. Poor Packer fans. Seriously, it does suck to lose a game because of missed calls. But you know what? Every team -- in every sport -- has had to endure it. Probably more than once. So life goes on.

The only thing these two Viking fans were bummed about was seeing our vacation come to an end.

We got a little concerned in O'Hare when the two outgoing flights in the gates we were sitting near were delayed because the pilots were "missing." Perhaps they had a late night in Seattle doing their part-time "replacement" job?? Not sure what the final resolution was, but both planes eventually left. Ours did, too, just a wee bit late but we got to Madison on time and were home by 4 p.m.

One thing we both noticed on the drive was that Wisconsin suddenly looked really flat! I miss seeing mountains at every angle! That was something to treasure!

Got home and got laundry going and unpacking. Jim went into town to his parents -- the saintly Carter sitters and taxi drivers -- to pick up Carter's stuff. I bonded with the kitty, who really missed us, and got a few things put away before heading into town to pick up Carter from the volleyball game where he was playing in Pep Band.

While it was tempting to hug him at school, I waited until I wouldn't embarrass him in front of his friends. I know he didn't miss us like we missed him, but he was kind enough to let me give him a big, long hug! Probably because he knew he'd have to be nice to get any of the "treats" we brought home for him.

Tough. He still has to finish homework first. Ha. Apparently I didn't forget how to be the mean mom while I was on vacation.

At least I remember how to use the washing machine! Back to reality...

No comments: