Monday, September 17, 2012

Women of a Certain Age

There comes a point in our lives where there is one thing many of us women dread. I mean even more than a root canal or mammogram (almost).

It's jeans shopping.

Who's with me on this? The problem for some of us in our 40+ years is that everything is shifting. In places we don't want it to. We probably support our husbands' desire to have it all gravitate to our bodacious boobs. But they usually only catch the "gravity" part of that word!

Instead, my gut and butt are in a race to see who can reach out the furthest first. There are no winners in that race! For sure, not me!

So jean shopping.... Sometimes you gotta do it. I didn't feel compelled to buy new clothes for our vacation, but when I was packing and saw the same grubby pair of "fat jeans" (you ladies know what I'm talking about), I just didn't want photos in those again! Yes, I am vain.

Not.

I told hubby I would just run to town and buy some. (Though he kindly said I didn't need any.) I had hoped I would be in and out and done in no time. But I knew better.

First I was distracted by all the end-of-summer clearance racks, looking at racks and racks of clothes I do not need. Then there is the challenge of finding short jeans. Yes, I am of that petite stature -- when the word "petite" merely means short and has nothing to do with skinny jeans.

I found a pair on clearance and honestly had no idea what size to look for. Thankfully, the ones I tried on were too big. Then I went down a size and tried on 3 different pair. Either too long or they looked like "mom jeans." Yes, I am a mother, but I don't want jeans making me look like I'm 40-something. I am not ready to embrace that yet! (And yes, I know I've had a few years to get used to it.)

So I go out of the dressing room one more time and find a pair of petites in the same brand and design I liked. Just liked, not loved. At this point, I'm over an hour into it and really have to make a decision. Thankfully, the petites looked fine and felt good. When I looked at my backside in the mirror, though, I thought, you know this is where Jim is going to say, "Those aren't tight enough!"

Well of course I went a size down. Gotta keep everyone happy, right?

At some point I will be of a certain age where I will chose my comfort first. Looks and sexiness be damned.

But frankly, I hope I don't. Who's with me?

No comments: