Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keepsakes



Carter came home with his "official" cross country portrait today. I think it turned out nice -- but I am a bit biased, of course.

Daddy surprised me and when he ordered the photos (I don't know where I was), he ordered a picture pin for me, too, so I can wear that at cross country meets and everywhere else -- just to embarrass Carter. That's what he thinks anyway. He is not in tune with a mother's need to brag. (Apparently, he doesn't read my blog.)

Anyway, the photo, which is a nice keepsake, will eventually find its way into a frame and scrapbook for posterity. And it couldn't have come at a better time. We needed a little pick-me-up around here.

A very dear friend of Jim's died yesterday following various complications from an amputation surgery several weeks ago. Although, he somewhat expected the possibility, Jim was still shocked and obviously deeply saddened. Davey was not only a friend, but a mentor, taking Jim under his wing as they worked the sports desk together at the daily newspaper here for many years.

Jim often is heard saying, "My old sports editor used to say..." or "Did I tell you about the time Davey..." So many memories that will now be keepsakes in the hearts of good friends and family. On Saturday, Jim will have the honor of sharing some of those stories at the memorial service. I give him credit for accepting the invitation from Davey's wife, but I can't imagine how hard it will be for him. All I can do is just stand by him and support him in any way I can.

As usual, God is using the situation as a reminder not to take what we have and who we have for granted. I love my husband and our boys. I am so blessed my dad seems to be improving this week and that I have both my parents and all my siblings with me. Not to mention numerous special friends who have touched my heart along my life's journey, each creating a unique keepsake of a memory for me.

Just thinking of you gives me the pick-me-up I need. Thanks!!

No comments: