Thursday, November 14, 2013

Drama Queen

Just for giggles sometimes, I look back at my old diaries to see what I was doing "on this date in history." Wow I got a good laugh out of my junior year of high school. I must warn Carter that girls have been drama queens since I was in high school.

And I was one of them.

In November of 1984, I was 16 but still didn't have my license yet. Neither did my twin. I guess we just didn't get enough behind-the-wheel time between the two of us. (I'll have to remind Carter how good he has it!) So 29 years ago on this date, I actually had to get my permit renewed so that I could still practice. As it turned out, I ended up testing that Nov. 21st and getting my license on my first try!

I couldn't go anywhere, though.

Listen to this dramatic excerpt: "My weekend was such a bummer. Everything went wrong! And to top it off, Mom grounded Raylene and I from going anyplace for a whole month!! Except for things that are necessary. Well, to me, everything I do is necessary! But I'm sure my mom doesn't see it like that. What a bummer!"

Oh the horror. How did I survive?

I can tell you that we evil twins were grounded "for a month" so many times in our teen-hood that we are probably still grounded! Somehow, though, we still got to do things. I sneaked a peek ahead in that journal and saw that 3 weeks into my "sentence" Mom let me go to a basketball game.

That was a "necessary" event -- critical even -- since I had a crush (that week anyway) on a basketball player and was excited to see him in shorts! "I must say it was an amazing sight," I wrote.

Good lord. If I was that boy-crazy as a teen, I pity Carter and the drama he must have to deal with today. Honestly, it's there in black and white. A lot of different initials of "who I like now." Not that any of them liked me back. Then there really might have been some drama!

Wow. Lots more fun to look forward to in Carter's teen years. Thankfully, he's a boy. Not that he doesn't have his dramatic moments and not that he isn't plenty like me in many ways, but hopefully we get a few less Oscar-winning performances.

Hopefully. But I am not counting on it.

I've already seen the writing on the wall, er, paper.

No comments: