Friday, November 29, 2013

TGIBF

TGIBF?? Am I really thankful it's Black Friday?? Well, yes, for a variety of reasons...

Holiday: Naturally I love that my company gives us the day after Thanksgiving off so we can enjoy an extended weekend with family, friends and a disgruntled shopper or two.

Deal or No Deal (the Brown version): OK, we weren't planning to shop on Brown Thursday or Black Friday, but we took the bait. Last night after our dinner guests left, Jim, Carter and I ventured to Wal-Mart to witness the strange humanity that encompasses the hunt for the "DEAL"! Jim suggested we just hang around and watch. I wasn't in that mood after the long day and I wasn't dying for any deal. Carter did have something on his list so we got that without too much trouble or waiting and got the heck out of there unscathed.

Deal or No Deal (the Black version): As is tradition, we drew names among us adults in Jim's family. There were a few items that were Black Friday and Grey (?) Saturday deals. He got his taken care of this morning and I got mine done this afternoon. No craziness involved with that at all. And we can cross that off our list. I must confess, though, I did set my alarm...

Deal or No Deal (Caving to Pressure :: Part 1): OK, so I got up by 6:30 a.m. to be at the cell phone store by 6:45 a.m. for their 7 a.m. opening. I got there with my long underwear, boots and coat but did not have to wait outside. They opened early! So I got to wait in line -- and be all toasty and over-warm -- inside! After much discussion and/or debate, Mr. and Mrs. Claus decided to add Carter to our smartphone plan. We were going to wait until it was closer to his birthday in May since we would want him to have a reliable phone when he gets his driver's license. But the big DEAL today allowed me to get his phone for "free" (ha) with a few extras thrown in, plus a reduced amount for his monthly charge, etc. So I caved to pressure. And it gets worse...

Caving to Pressure (Part II): Once you have a phone activated, you really can't sit around and not use it for a month. If we waited 'til Christmas, we'd be so close to that 30-day trial period, it wouldn't be smart or prudent consumer move in case something was wrong. This is what I told Mr. and Mrs. Claus. So we caved and gave it to him today. I put his phone on a chair and called it and said, "Hey, Carter, isn't that your phone ringing?" He's like, "No, not mine." I said, "Are you sure? Look at it!" So he picks it up with a big smile and answers the only number programmed in there, of course -- mine! -- and I say "Merry Christmas!" I actually got a free-will hug out of that one!

Cranberry Classic: We didn't just go sauntering about spending money all day. Honest. This weekend every year is the Cranberry Classic basketball tournament at Assumption. So while Carter plopped down on the couch to figure out his new "toy" all day, Jim and I had to work concession 10:30-12:30. We stayed for the girls' varsity game after that. Our defending state champions won quite handily, thank you very much. I don't always get to see much of the tourney because Carter and I are usually heading Up North for the cookie bake. But since he had to work tonight, we will leave in the morning.

All Work, No Play? No Way: While Carter was working at the golf course restaurant washing dishes, Jim and I were there in one of the banquet halls for a 40th wedding anniversary party. We just had to have Carter come find us when he was done working and see if we were done playing.Since it wss 10, we were definitely done.


Family: I am still riding a high of having all three of our boys together last night for the first time in 2 years. It warmed my heart and will carry me through the Thanksgiving weekend and beyond. As I mentioned, I also get to see MY side of the family this weekend, too. We'll head up to my twin's house -- Hedberg Cookie Bake Headquarters -- tomorrow and leave Dad home alone for his "Jimmy Weekend." It's our annual tradition. And he hasn't once over the years complained that he was too lonely. Nothing black about his weekend outlook!

Pitch Black: Finally, it is only fitting on this particular "black" Friday that I express how thankful I am to a higher power and some very special people who saved me in my darkest (probably pitch black) hours 15 years ago on this date. I have been blessed with second chances and people who have supported me on a sometimes rocky journey to where I am today. I am blessed beyond measure and so thankful God (not me) is in charge of my life!

I love it "on the light side."




1 comment:

Writer Rahn said...

Your vulnerability, especially in your writing, have always inspired me. The conclusion of this post was no exception.
You are one of the strongest and smartest women I know, and the world is a far, far better place because you're in it. :)