Sunday, November 24, 2013

Let's Call It Even

It's Border Battle Sunday! The good news is that the Packers didn't win. The bad news is that the Vikings didn't either.

I was witness to my first NFL tie.


I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. On TV anyway. Typical of the Packer-Viking battle, anything can happen. They beat us once this year and today, when we had a significant lead, I thought, "Could this really be happening?"

Then the Vikings answered: "Of course not."

They blew their lead and it went into overtime. Under new rules I had to acquaint myself with, if either team scored a touchdown in OT, they'd win. They didn't. Both teams did score a field goal but time ran out before anyone crossed a goal line.

Weird.

In the past, my dad and I would have called each other, the winner giving the loser some grief. When the Pack won, he'd call and say, "How 'bout them Packers?" I'd innocently reply, "What? Was there a game today?" I'm not sure how our conversation would have went this year. I'd give anything to find out, though.

I was actually content with the game results. Sure I'd prefer a win, but the Packer fans can't say they beat us this time. And we, thankfully, don't have to add yet another one to our loss column. Oh, and thankful, too, I could watch on TV and not sit for some 4-6 hours in below-freezing temperatures!

When Carter and I left for church this morning, he informed me it was exactly zero degrees. What a good day to sit under a blanket and watch football. And maybe even a Christmas movie if I log off the computer.

Funny how those Hallmark movies are just like a Packer-Viking game. Everybody wins!


No comments: