Sunday, November 10, 2013

NO-vember

Finally, we had an actual weekend where the "nothing going on this weekend" statement was pretty close to the truth.

Yesterday, I spent half the day in the kitchen. With nothing tasty to show for it. There are some clean appliances, organized cupboards and a box of coffee mugs heading to Goodwill to show, though.

We just had the birthday party later and then Carter had a post-party party (well gathering of a few friends just "hanging out"). Today, though, there was nothing concrete on the agenda.

Went to 8 o'clock church, then stopped at the Holiday Expo in town to do a little browsing. I am not in the mood for holiday shopping. And why should I be? Isn't it still September? Not dealing well with the quick passage of time these days!

I am just saying "NO" to November until I am ready for it.

When I got home, though, I felt compelled to start on my Christmas treats for our family Cookie Exchange on Thanksgiving weekend. I prefer to make them ahead, freeze them and just enjoy that day visiting and playing games.

We have to make a plate of a dozen goodies for each participant. That ranges from 7 siblings to more than a dozen folks when nieces and nephews are thrown in. I am not a person who could sit and make 12 dozen of anything without getting bored so I usually have 3 or 4 types of treats on each plate.

I won't tell you what I am making yet. (Nothing major, trust me.) I did not get everything made today either, but at least two parts of it. One I made early in the afternoon and the other after supper since the oven was already on. All are in the freezer and hopefully hubby- and Carter-proof.

I swear I did not listen to Christmas music while I was in the kitchen. But it was almost tempting.

Almost.

Since it was still nice out and not like November, in my opinion, I did manage to get an afternoon walk in yesterday and today. I have to admit the brisk wind definitely felt like November. And I know it's coming.

I just saw our forecast for the week. High of only 29 tomorrow and not much warmer the following days -- which means lows in the teens!

No wonder Mr. Deck Chair flew south already.

I miss him.


No comments: