Sunday, May 25, 2014

Lest We Forget...

We were up and on the road before 9 this morning to attend the Memorial Day Weekend ceremony up in Rudolph (just north of Rapids). As in previous years, Carter and the Assumption band played patriot tunes before, during and after the ceremony.

It was a gorgeous sunny day, which was nice. No need for jackets or umbrellas this year. So I could snap a few photos (naturally)...



One of three WWII veterans in attendance.






Girl and Boy Scouts placed flags on veterans' graves during the program.

The band played the official song from each branch of service and the gentlemen stood and saluted when theirs was performed.


Scouts thanking the veterans. For once, I shook quite a few hands, too!

The band!

Ha, Carter, I see you!
After the program, as is tradition, we had to stop at the Rudolph dairy for ice cream. Hey, it's tradition and yes, they had "Mint Avalanche" so no, don't ask me how my diet is going!

When we got home I did go for a nice walk around the lake with hubby. To get exercise and alleviate my guilt!

Got home from that and I figured I deserved some alone time with Mr. Deck Chair. It was 83 degrees, after all! I just meant to read "a bit." Ended up finishing the book... an hour later. Oops. I may be a little red tomorrow!

I had no motivation after that but did get my sweeping, dusting, vacuuming done so I don't have to wake up to that on my day off tomorrow. Had some yummy grilled brats for supper and later had some nice phone calls with my mom and one of my sisters.

I feel like I got this "extra day" and so much done. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain, so I will be forced to get more chores done. I hope it holds off during all the Memorial Day services. They have made enough sacrifices.

Thanks for remembering them and thanking them!

No comments: