Monday, May 19, 2014

Never Forgotten

Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude America will never forget their sacrifices.
– President Harry S. Truman

Probably 95 percent of my reading time is devoted to fiction. That's not intentional. I do enjoy a good nonfiction book, as long as it doesn't read like a textbook and put me to sleep.

If you've ever read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, you know that's not the case.

A couple of my fellow readers recommended it to me over the past year, so I took a chance and checked out the audio version for my commute. I was so intrigued right off the bat that I even checked it out on my Kindle so I could continue with the story when I wasn't driving! Without a doubt, the most interesting book I've read in, well, forever.

"Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" is the life story of Louie Zamperini – a juvenile delinquent-turned-Olympic runner-turned-Army hero. Not only is Louie an interesting character to get to know, but there are so many aspects of war I never knew about – or chose to learn about.

So unjust. So inhuman.

I guess I've had my head in the sand.

After reading it (and I recommend it with 5 stars), I came to this conclusion: We cannot do enough to thank our veterans. I, personally, have not done enough to show my appreciation. I'm ashamed that I have not shown due respect – especially to POWs. I'm so grateful for those of you who have understood (decades before I did) and done something about it.

One such group is the Honor Flight Network. It is by sheer coincidence that the opportunity to participate in their mission coincided with the conclusion of reading the book. Today just happens to be the day Jim's Uncle Frank donned the yellow jacket and spent the day in Washington, D.C.



What is the Honor Flight Network? Throughout the United States there are several programs that operate in conjunction with Honor Flight. In our area of Wisconsin, the "Never Forgotten Honor Flight" group's mission is to provide a special kind of honor for the sacrifices of America's veterans. From Mosinee (near Wausau), they fly our heroes to Washington D.C. to visit their memorials. The veterans do not pay for this activity – it is absolutely free, thanks to donations.

Around sunrise today, Jim's godfather (a Korean War veteran) and 87 other veterans departed for a day-long whirlwind tour of memorials in D.C. A crowd of supporters saw them off in the early morning light. And another crowd – including Jim and me, his sister Sherry, Uncle Dick and Aunt Jane and a thousand others  – greeted them with cheers, tears and applause on their return tonight around 10 p.m.

Waving flags and showing signs of support and encouragement, each veteran, his guardian and his spouse walked down (or was wheeled down) an aisle of saluting veterans on one side and cheering supporters on the others. Goose bumps and lumps in throats for everyone.

A few of the photo highlights:

Jim, Aunt Jane, sister Sherry and Uncle Dick.
Aunt Colleen shows a sign of support while waiting with the other spouses.


Spouses await the landing of the Honor Flight.

Unique signs of support.

Waiting for his grandpa to pass by.

The crowd of at least a thousand await the entry of the veterans.

Lined up at attention.
Here comes Uncle Frank!


Uncle Frank and Aunt Colleen pose with Jim and me when it is all over.

The Stratford group surrounding Frank are thankful they encouraged him to apply for the Honor Flight program.

Uncle Frank and his gang of supporters!

Thank you, Uncle Frank. Thank you all. You are our heros and you will never be forgotten.








No comments: