Monday, May 5, 2014

Rustic Road Trip

Today was the last road trip for the German and American students. Under sunny skies, they traveled in a comfy coach bus down to Amish Country – the Cashton area near La Crosse.

They toured an Amish farm, bakery and store, plus stopped at a creamery in La Crosse for ice cream on the way home. So jealous on many levels.

The back story: Several years ago my six sisters and I held our annual Wild Women's Weekend in that area of Wisconsin. One day while visiting a farm and bakery, we discovered Cashew Crunch. It's like that peanut brittle you have at Christmas, only with cashews instead and softer and yummier. We all fell in love with it.

Since then, Carter and I have ventured down to the flea market in Adams at least once a summer because we know there is a booth there selling Cashew Crunch. Sometimes we get the chocolate-covered crunch and other times just regular. Both are delicious.

My point – and I do have one – is that Carter KNOWS I love Cashew Crunch. He KNOWS we have driven miles and miles out of our way to go get some. So how could he not KNOW (a few days before Mother's Day, mind you) that he should buy some for me when he is in the heart of Amish Country??

In his defense, I did not "place an order" with him or specifically mention it in advance. I was just holding out hope. He did manage to spend the 20 bucks I gave him even without that mouth-watering treat!

Anyway, they had a good time. As Lukas pointed out, not necessarily everything they saw but the fun bus ride. I said that's because you all know each other so well now. It's totally different than the bus trip your first day here when you didn't know them – or US – really.

"It's going to be very hard to say goodbyes in two days," he said.

I know!!! The time is going much too fast!

After I picked them up from school tonight, we went to the Assumption girls' soccer game. I dropped Lukas and his German buddy off before the game and Carter and I did some pre-driving test practice. Got to the game and we were already leading 5-0. It was not long until Lukas and two other Germans were cold. (Aren't they used to our extended winter by now?)

I ended up taking those two boys, Carter and one of the German girls to Taco John's for some hot, fast food. The place was swamped, though, so by the time they got their food (to go) and we got back to the field, the game was basically over. Still same score 5-0, so you could say we didn't miss anything. Ha.

As long as our foreign guests didn't mind missing it, I didn't either. There is still plenty of the soccer season left.

And I've got all summer to get me some of that Cashew Crunch!


No comments: