Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Little Gratitude Goes a Long Way

When news broke today that Maya Angelou had passed away at age 86, I was trying to pinpoint which of her many inspiring quotes was my favorite. While there are many I have enjoyed from the poet/activist, I like the sentiment of this one:


It is a reminder to me that in all things, I must show gratitude. No, not just show it, but feel it and live it and believe I am blessed.

And I do.

Sure I get whiny – like today when I showed up at the softball game straight from work in long sleeves and long pants ... and it was 75 degrees out. I was a bit warm to say the least, but I will take that over winter hats and ballpark blankets any day. Plus, it wasn't about ME. The Assumption girls won. That's the important thing.

If we look hard enough, in each situation, there is something for which to be grateful.

Sometimes it's really a difficult find.

When my dad died, for instance, it was painful emotionally but we were grateful he was relieved of his physical pain. When my best friend's cousin was the victim of a still-unsolved murder some 20 years ago, it was heart-wrenching for the friends and family. Today, though, thanks to an Assumption scholarship in her name, many lives are being touched in a very positive way each school year. When I complain about my aching back and hip and not being able to run, I am reminded that hubby's dear uncle is missing half a leg and a few of my friends are suffering serious physical ailments – from multiple sclerosis to cancer.

Each day in itself is a gift. But more often than not, God is placing people in our lives to add even more blessings.


Case in point: Hubby starts to mow the lawn after supper and two neighbors show up to make short work of it. Jim didn't even have to wait for a nightly prayer to express his gratitude. The guys are enjoying their frosty, cold "thank you" right now!

We seriously will never be done counting our blessings.

Thanks be to God!




No comments: