Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sojourn

My oldest sister left the southern tip of Texas yesterday and is making her way due north to the Peace Gardens in Canada via Highway 281. She is chronicalling her trip with photo/video stops every 100 miles so when she arrives at her destination, she will literally see how far she's come.

We've all taken sojourns like that, haven't we? Sometimes physically and other times emotionally – always hoping in the end we can look back and note progress.

Not sure how far I've come since May 27, 2013.

365 days with a hole in my heart. 
52 weeks of catching myself saying "My mom and dad" instead of just "my mom." 
12 months of holiday firsts without you. 
1 year since our final goodbye. Miss you, Dad! 

Yup, today is that weird date we don't know if we call an anniversary or a day of observance or a Memorial Day of sorts.

Whatever we call it, I know without a doubt there was not one in my family who wasn't thinking about it and missing him... Dad... Grandpa... Husband.

I didn't want to dwell on it today and managed to keep busy at work. When weather (or something) canceled the Assumption baseball game at Iola, I headed home. Talked to one sister most of the way and we managed to get through the bewitching time of 5:27. Yes, Dad died at 5:27 on 5/27. Won't forget that one.

We had a good conversation – sad and uplifting at the same time. We know we are moving forward and we know Dad is watching over us. That feels good.

After that call, my friend Becky called me out of the blue and said she had an extra ticket to tonight's home opener for our Wisconsin Rapids Rafters team. I'm glad I decided to go. Perfect to be at a ballgame on "Dad's day." And great to catch up with a dear friend. Just comforting to be with people. Also strangely uplifting to have new people to pray for. People who have way more serious challenges than analyzing their grief.



We had a nice time (much better than the losing Rafters) and it was a pleasant distraction.

I haven't looked at how far I've traveled on my sojourn of sorrow but I'm guessing I've covered a lot of ground. Now if I could just figure out my destination.


2 comments:

swait said...

You have many gifts--grateful for your amazing ability to put both detail and big picture into intricate balance.

Robyn Austin said...

Thanks, Sara!!