Thursday, May 8, 2014

Until We Meet Again

Goodbyes are not forever.
Goodbyes are not the end.
They simply mean I’ll miss you
Until we meet again!

~Author Unknown

Today was the last time Lukas would be heading out our driveway. And now that Carter has his license, he got that privilege – and sad duty. The German 24 had a half day of school and then were to board their bus sometime between 12 and 12:30 and head to O'Hare Airport in Chicago.

Even though we did a preliminary round of hugs before the boys went to school, I worked at home today so Jim and I could take the suitcases into school at noon – and say goodbye yet again.

After some packing and weighing and re-packing and re-weighing, we're pretty sure we've got his luggage at legal weight to avoid additional charges (It's $150 for an overweight bag going overseas! So we are shipping a few items.)


Got to school and the kids were already sobbing and trying to say goodbye. All the GAPP (German-American Partnership Program) members still posed for a last group photo, though!



Had to get another picture with our second "son."  Of course he made me cry when he said I am like a mother to him. (Shoot! I'm actually crying as I type this!)

Each German wrote a message on the balloon they gave their American partner last night. Lukas wrote: "GAPP 2014: Best moments together with the Austins!"

When the bus arrived, no one wanted to let go of their balloons OR their new friends for life.

But they released the balloons to some cheering (and more crying) and eventually boarded the bus on their first leg home... sad to go but happy they will all see each other in 13 months. Lukas even said, "I don't want to leave you, but I miss home, too!"

We are sad, too, but we completely understand. Carter, the lucky one in our house who WILL see Lukas next year, is still very, very, very sad to see his awesome "brother" go. As Jim pointed out, we wouldn't be this upset if it hadn't been a good experience, right?

True. We were blessed with a kind-hearted charmer! (Kind of like some other guys I know.) And we will treasure this experience forever.


Chao, my new "son"! Until we meet again...


No comments: