Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sounds of the Season (but which one?)


As I sit at my computer, I can hear the familiar sounds of summer... birds chirping, dogs barking and the lawn mower cutting grass, plowing over mole hills and chopping up errant sticks in the back yard.

Did I wake up to a new season?

For awhile there, I thought I did. On the way to work there was a teeny tiny annoying sound. It was the buzzing of a mosquito. I was probably halfway to work before I got 'em! I had to wonder if we bypassed spring and went directly from winter to summer.

Not that this sun worshipper would mind that.

I have concerns, though. Here hubby is mowing the thick grass – thanks to all that baseball-canceling rain – but I have yet to see a lilac bloom. Shouldn't we be seeing them by now? I refuse to start my summer without my favorite fragrance wafting through the house!

While I do read my share of books, I have not read a Farmer's Almanac or any horticulture articles explaining how or if the long, long, long, long winter may affect spring and summer growth. Since I have two black thumbs, I tend not to pay attention to that stuff.

But I want my lilacs!

For now, I will settle for that magnificent scent of fresh-cut grass! I love that smell of the season – especially when I didn't have to do anything to create it.

Perhaps the lazy days of summer have arrived after all!





No comments: