Friday, March 25, 2016

Pretty Good Friday


Not only is today my mother's 84th birthday, but coincidentally, she was born on Good Friday. Here's a little Good Friday trivia for you...

Today is a religious rarity that will not occur again in our lifetimes. For most Christians in the West, it is Good Friday, the day of Jesus' crucifixion. It is also March 25, the traditional day of observing the Annunciation, when the angel Gabriel came to Mary and told her she would become pregnant with Jesus.

This overlap has happened just three times in the 20th century (1910, 1921, and 1932, the year Mom was born) and twice in the 21st (2005 and 2016). And it won't occur again until 2157. It's a rare event because the Christians use different methods to schedule holy days. Fixed feasts, like Christmas (December 25 in the West) and the Annunciation (March 25), fall on the same day every year. And movable feasts, like Easter, fall on different days depending on the lunar calendar.

Glad it has happened two times that my mom can remember. When I talked to her this morning she claimed that being born on Good Friday is the reason she is so good. I said that was great that she passed that along another generation and had 8 good kids, too. I don't know why she laughed at that. Like she didn't believe me or something.

To observe Good Friday, we all went to church – Jim to his Catholic church and Carter and I to our Lutheran church. Maybe it's because we have a new pastor with new ideas, but I really liked our service today. Neat presentation of the Easter story and good music. Was glad Carter could join me.

Other than actual Good Friday- and Good Friday Birthday-related activities, it was a busy day of errands and projects. Since it was sunny and in the 40s, I did sneak in a walk with my neighbor Cindy. I am still dealing with The Crud so I was sure to dress warmly and wear a hat.

Tonight I believe much of Wisconsin is feeling The Crud. Watched a heartbreaking loss in the NCAA playoffs. We had such terrible shooting percentage the first half that neither team deserved to win. I don't think Notre Dame with get much further unless it plays a much better game against its next opponent. Not that I know anything. I was just glad the Badgers outlasted my bracket.

Me having a decent bracket is about as rare as my mom's birthday falling on Good Friday.






No comments: