Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Common Sense and Sensibility


As a former news hound, my eyes and ears are always open for "breaking news." As a mother, my senses are particularly on high alert if that news story involves a shooter. Doesn't even have to be at a school. I want my child safe everywhere!

This afternoon, news broke of a shooting in the Wausau area. That's less than an hour up the road so it piques our interest and concern since we know people who live and/or work there.

By the end of the day, we'd learned four people including a police officer were killed in the shooting rampage. How awful! Any victims make it a tragedy. I feel badly for all of the family and friends who are in shock over today's events. I feel especially bad for the law enforcement and emergency personnel who make it their mission to keep people safe and save lives, but now must mourn one of their own who died trying.

So senseless.

In a perfect world (even non-perfect), our citizens would respect authority and, frankly, just respect human life. Period.

I don't know where common sense has disappeared to, but I hope it comes back in to people's heads and hearts – and fills some of those holes left by hatred, lack of respect, and lack of faith. There is just so much hurt.

God, please lay a healing hand on hearts broken today be sadness and anger. Put Your loving arms around Marathon County and all the men and women in blue.

No comments: