Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Lent Comes in Like a Lion

It's not often we flip the calendar and we have both a new month and a new season on the same day. Today we had March – and Lent – coming in like a lion!

Yup, as tradition (or folk lore) goes, if the weather is nasty (a Lion) at the beginning of March, it will be calm (a Lamb) going out. Traditionally, no matter the calendar date, Lent usually comes in like a Lion... or some strange beast in our bellies reminding us of our Fat Tuesday over-indulgences.

I honestly didn't pay attention and realize we'd be waking up to snow. It was drizzling on the way home from the boys basketball game last night and while we were sleeping, that formed the coat of ice under the light snow this morning.

Fun commute. And here my intent was to give up winter for Lent, but Mother Nature thwarted those plans. Grrr. And B-r-r-rr.

Apparently we got 3-6 inches today, which was evident on my car after work...



By the time I got the snow brushed off and the ice layer scraped off, it was after 5 p.m. and I was not going to get home in time to change for kickboxing and get to class.

That was for the best anyway. I had hoped to get to 1 p.m. Ash Wednesday service during my lunch. But since it was still snowing and the roads were ultra-crappy, I stayed in the office. This way I was able to get to the 6:30 p.m. service. The roads still have plenty of slippery spots but at least my driveway is clear, thanks to my nephew stepping up as the "man of the house" while hubby is gone!

The rest of the pretty white stuff isn't going anywhere for a few days. Highs in 30s and lows in teens. Why can't March be more like February?

I talked to my "sole sister" at church and we are excited it will be above freezing for our big Point Bock Run on Saturday. Whew. Just a nice spring-ish walk/run in 40 degrees. Thank goodness or we'll be forced to actually move quickly!

Then 60 degrees on Sunday, maybe?? I guess that's why they call it March Madness. Looking forward to that sweet little lamb in 31 days.


No comments: