Friday, March 31, 2017

Herding Cats

My mind was going in so many directions this week, it felt like I was herding cats. It took until Friday, but I finally got one corralled in a box! That about sums it up.

Actually, Sylvester climbed on my desk and hopped to another shelf to put herself in the box. I think she felt sorry for me and wanted one part of the week to go smoothly. She didn't realize that when a person has a stressful week, come Friday, all they can do is giggle through it and launch into the weekend.

Other than the over-tired giggles I get, I did have a few amusing moments today...

I managed to escape my desk and take a walk break in the midafternoon sunshine and somewhat mild temps. Since my regular walk buddies were off, I went by myself. I heard some sirens when I started out and again about halfway through. It's not unusual since there are a handful of medical facilities nearby.

I did my route and was just turning into the entrance at work when the sirens were suddenly loud and a voice over a loudspeaker squawked, "Get your hands up where I can see them!" Talk about a freak-out moment. I was turning around and saying, "What the..." and there was no one there. Thank goodness or I may have been shot for disobeying!

Here the technical college – which has a police program – was doing a training exercise. Just on the other side of the trees. So yeah, they were very close and yeah, it sounded like they were talking to me. And yeah, my heart was still racing an hour later.

Good grief. MSTC is only a block from work but I never hear their training drills. Naturally, AFTER my near brush with the law, I heard them repeatedly run the sirens and shout demands through the megaphone. Silly me. Why would they come for me anyway? Unless, of course they were the men in white coats. That would be logical.

I suppose for them, gathering up stressed out loonies off the ledge is sort of like herding cats. Trust me. Just like Sylvester, I might just volunteer to go.

Thankfully, I had an alternative. Friends.

We had a great evening with our old Assumption gang, catching up on how our freshman in college are doing and sharing photos from our various spring break trips and more. That's good therapy right there.

Need to fill that prescription more often.


No comments: