Sunday, February 11, 2018

Nepco-lympics

Wasn't exactly Olympic training today but it felt like it. Instead of watching the games from my recliner or sitting out in winter like these ice fishermen and maybe women, my neighbors and I dusted off our snowshoes and hit the trail.

I should clarify that Cindy and I may have dusted ours off. Her husband Mike just took his out of the Christmas wrapping paper for his inaugural trek.

Yes, it was only 19 degrees. But 2 hours later, we had worked up a sweat, burned calories, and drum roll please... I had over 10,000 steps!

Sun was out so we could see some pretty things in the woods. The trees in the park next to Nepco Lake also shielded us from the wind.

 Setting out.

We're old pros. We can sweat, er sparkle, and smile!

Interesting mix of seasons. Here we have milkweed, a fall leaf and snow on branch.

And here we have snow sitting atop little, tree-side mushrooms. Weird.

 We even saw a snake. OK. A snow snake, but still.

No worries. I out-ran that beast. Even in snowshoes!

While the first part of our journey was clearly marked and somewhat groomed trails, the second leg was still marked but definitely the trail less traveled. Wasn't exactly sure where we were but we just kept trudging along and figured we'd find the parking lot again.


We made it! Here I am under the winners' arch, celebrating our victorious finish. Pretty sure I earned the pewter medal... or what comes next... plastic?

It was fun and it was a decent amount of snow so get out and take advantage of it. Then, like I did, you can come home, make a hot drink, sit in your chair and watch the real games.

It'll put you in the spirit. And definitely admire what they can do!


No comments: