Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Moms Know Things


You know. No matter your age, you never stop being a mom.

It was so sweet that my mom called me this week because she heard I was sad and she felt that mom-connected pain. She said she wanted me to know she loves me.

Oh gosh, does this mean we never stop worrying? I guess not.

At least now I can appreciate that what I once considered overbearing and bossy and nosey is actually just caring and concern and wanting the best for me.

Don't ask me how old I was when I figured that one out. Much too old.

But better late than never.

My advice to the young ladies out there is this...

Being a teenager is tough. I get that. I was a teenage girl once, too... Maybe a hundred years ago but I do remember the insecurities, self doubt, thinking my parents didn't know anything (spoiler alert: they DO)...

Just know that no matter what seems like an impossible, huge boulder in your path, you have options. You are loved. You are so loved. A hug is always an arm's length away. I give them out freely!

Do me a favor and hug your mom today. (Your dad, too!)

I don't care if she grounded you from your phone this week or hounded you about homework or grilled you about that boy you like, do it. She needs that. If you are really brave, tell her you love her, too! Then love yourself. Got it?

See how bossy and pushy I am? Because I'm a mom. And I love you. That's what we do.

And as a mom, when I got an unprompted phone call from my baby – my teenager – tonight, it set my universe right. Love is a powerful thing. Use it wisely.

And often.

No comments: