Thursday, June 7, 2018

Classy Ladies


Even though I was working in Davenport, we got done in the midafternoon and I figured if we booked it – within the speed limit, of course – I could get to Madison in time to see at least some of our Lady Royals in action at state softball.

It was sort of on the way. In my opinion.

First pitch was set for 5 p.m. against the defending state champion Chippewa Falls McDonell team. Hubby was driving down and had my camera and new state "Royals fan" t-shirt in the CRV so I could grab them when I got to Mad Town.

Unfortunately, road construction plus traffic plus other factors made it impossible to get there even before 6. I was there to see the last 1 1/2 innings. Royals were down 5-2. I saw them score one in the last at-bat, but they ended up losing 5-3.

Such a tough loss. It's hard for them to see that it is simply amazing to be playing at the state level. Now the feels are just heartbreak. Lots of tears by players and the families, friends, and fans.

Always a special group of girls. But I'll miss the classy, skillful leaders who are this year's seniors. Two are going on to play college ball so their journey isn't over yet. But it's still the end of the era with their team.

Thanks, seniors and the entire team, for being so fun to watch this year. What an adventure!

I guarantee it won't be the last.


No comments: