Friday, June 15, 2018

Sisters in Scandi-hoovia :: Day 4

I never would have intentionally planned to go to Denmark. Sure I liked the ebelskiver supper at West Denmark Church (outside of Luck) when I was kid, but that was the extent of any interaction with the Danes. As for Finlanders (as my dad called them), let's not go there.

Today, though, I can tell you Copenhagen was an unexpected treat. Of course, I love any city on the water, but this is both a historic and very modern city. And they have history to hang onto.

Since we had a free day in this city of more than half a million people, we got tickets ahead of time to do a boat tour of the main canal and more. These pictures are few from my phone today since it is too late at night to start messing with others.

The prettily painted row houses (many now restaurants and shops) were so cool to see. They're situated on both sides of the canal along with very old boats. Awesome scenery from the water and on shore.

Will definitely have to share more photos when I get back home. The boat included seeing the Royal Yacht in the harbor. Yup. Their majesties were in town. We also got to see the famous little Mermaid statue. Oh and tons of other statues around town. Plus, one of the row houses on the canal used to be occupied by Hans Christian Andersen. Or H.C., as he's called there.

From the boat, the four of us split up and Raylene and I hoofed it over to the Tivoli Gardens amusement park. We were there just long enough to ride the carousel (why yes, I did bring a selfie stick).

And find a Danish kringle for lunch Yum, yum!

We walked -- quite briskly-- back across town some 3 miles to get to the bus. Went through a pedestrian-only line of streets -- filled with shops, cafes, and people. You can shop for anything -- both European and American fashion. And, we even found the Normal store. Who knew you could buy normal? Good thing they were having a 2-for-1 deal so we're both covered!

For reals.
Oh and I concluded I do like Denmark after all. They let you have ice cream here! As long as you share it with the troll first.

I'm very willing to work on my international relations skills to make that happen.

For now... sleep. Gotta pack up in the morning and leave Karlshamn for our next destination a little further north. 

I realize most of you are still at your day jobs as I type this, but sweet dreams!

I'll be in touch.

No comments: