Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sisters in Scandi-hoovia :: Day 6 (Father's Day)

It's not a Scandi-hoovian myth that too much fresh air makes you tired. It's fact.

In fact, we packed so much into our time outdoors that our morning activities seem like days ago already! Not complaining one bit. It's a good kind of tired.

This morning, Raylene and I went off the beaten path and went for a pre-breakfast walk-run-rock climbing-hill climbing adventure. Yes, it was as tiring as it sounds. (Side note: Don't ever complain when things go down hill. It can be a lot harder going up hill!)

Well, OK. We weren't blazing completely new trails. Just the most difficult one.

There is an old water mill community of perhaps 3 buildings called Rottle. That was at the bottom of a windy hill. With a few steep parts.



Oh look. A bridge! Let's cross it and keep on going.


There were pretty flowers...

And pretty steep hills on that side, too. We somehow ended up by a road. But since we didn't know if it led back to the hotel and we didn't know how to pronounce the name of it either, we turned around and retraced our steps.

 Every single one.

Uff da! We made it!

Little did we know how closely we escaped the rain. Got on the bus and went to the Granna harbor to get on the ferry and didn't catch the sun for man, many hours! Thankfully, our leaders Martin and Anna gave us all rain ponchos. Practical AND stylish. You'll see! And we couldn't complain. They have been waiting something like 7 weeks for rain!

We took the ferry -- large enough to fit the bus! -- over to Visingso Island.

Got to see two castle ruins there. The first one was the site of the very first royal castle in Sweden in the 1100s.
Yes, that's my twin, taking a short cut. Gotta keep my sisters on leashes!

See what I mean by stylish? Check out that thin rail behind me. I think the rain was so bothersome that I forgot to be scared of heights!

Second castle we saw had a bit more to it. It was built in the 1600s. Can't tell, but it's still raining!
We got a break from the rain for a lunch of meatloaf... and potatoes, of course! Then we went on a horse and carriage ride. It was like a covered wagon you might see on hayrides or pumpkin patch tours. We were tucked in with tarps over our legs, too, so we could stay dry. One of our stops was the Kumlaby Church, which is one of the oldest and best preserved medieval churches in Sweden.

 
The church was founded in the middle of the 12th century, so even though I can't read the tombstones, I am sure there are some interesting characters buried there.

 Vikings of some sort, no doubt!
Another neat church we trotted by.

I was on a different wagon than my co-travelers. Here is the wagon ridden by Raylene, Rayna, and her friend Sue.

After the ride, we said goodbye to the horses, hopped on the bus and rode the ferry back to Granna for a few free hours to shop. If you didn't know (and I sure didn't), this is where red-and-white-striped peppermint candy got its origins. I know. I was thinking North Pole, too.

So candy cane-like peppermint sticks are big deal here. When you see the word "polka" it is referring to peppermint. Just a little Swedish language lesson for the day.

In all the shops, we got to peer through windows at handsome young Swedes and watch them make the candy. Very cool.

 These were in Swedish colors!

So many varieties and the only word I recognized was polka!

I didn't get too much candy but discovered I need a bigger carry-on for the trip home. Isn't this guy cute?
Not sure if it's required to kiss him for luck, but I did anyway!

And this one will probably have to go in my checked luggage! For real, I am so an HOME here. Nine out of 10 business -- including gas stations -- have ice cream or gelato or both. HEAVEN.

Speaking of heaven... we took a moment to think of Dad. I brought him with and I am sure he is with us in spirit as we visit his half-homeland (he's half Norwegian, too). In fact, the fact that the sun came out was a good indicator.

And stayed out! What a glorious day!
And a pretty spectacular ending, too! Well, at 10:15 p.m. anyway.




No comments: