Saturday, June 16, 2018

Sisters in Scandi-hoovia :: Day 5

So where were we off to today? You certainly wouldn't know from the signs in this roundabout! But we checked out of Karlshamn and headed north to Almhult, home of the original IKEA and its museum.

I'm not an IKEA shopper but I could become one now. A few things I wouldn't mind checking out back in the States.

Had lot of the company history and some Swedish history, too, on display. Plus their unique stuff presented in unique ways.

Then they had fun things like posing in the same setting as their current catalog cover.

Yup, while you all were sleeping, the Skol Sisters became Swedish supermodels!

Had lunch at IKEA... guess what? More potatoes and lingonberries and, this time, Swedish meatballs. I was waiting for the Swedish Chef to pop out of the kitchen at any moment!

I didn't find any furniture to buy at IKEA, but I did at a gas station! How can I live without this table and chairs?!

From Almhult, we headed to Huskvarna, home of Husqvarna!

Impressive history and line of products. Plus the H in logo is perfect for the Hedberg sisters! I seriously didn't know how much they produced beyond sewing machines and chainsaws. But they did muskets for the war 300 years ago, motorcycles, dishwashers, meat grinders, stoves, and just about anything that needs a wee bit of cast iron.
It happened that across the street was a little village of Smedbyn. Since my family calls me Byn -- short for Bynski, which is short for Robynski -- I couldn't resist a picture by a Byn sign!

Obviously by now you know I am squeezing the fun out of every moment here!!

After the tour, we headed north to our home base for the next three nights -- Gyllene Uttern (The Golden Otter) -- on the shores of Vattern, the second largest lake in Sweden.
Very cool place to see!

And awesome view out our window, too.

Before dinner, Raylene and I went "rock climbing." That's what we're calling. There were rocks and there definitely was enough of an incline we can say climbing.

View was so worth effort! Not talking about the Swedish supermodels. I mean the lake.

We get to cross over to that island in the distance tomorrow. Supposed to rain but we won't let anything spoil this vacation!

Sweet dreams. I'll keep in touch.


No comments: