Monday, June 18, 2018

Sisters in Scandi-hoovia :: Day 7 (Kickin' Glass)



We all got to express our creativity today -- whether we knew we had some or not. Turns out our whole bus load can kick glass when it comes to that.

We hit the road early to drive some 2 hours or so to the Kingdom of Glass, located in Kosta. It is a shopping center of sorts -- like our outlet malls -- with shops selling high-end glassworks, a factory that makes them, and, for us creative sorts... glassblowing classes.

Finally a use for my hot air! So in the category of "look what I made, Mom" here I am making a Christmas ornament with Sweden's national colors --- blue and yellow. And no, they don't mix to make green when it comes to glass.

 Wait... that's not it.

That isn't either. 

This way for beginning blowers.

Mr. Teacher Guy did the magic part getting the sand to turn hot and gooey and glassy. I had to hold some cast-iron cup while he was spinning it to get it in shape.

Then I had to blow it to add ridges. I know. Highly technical terms.

Then I had to blow some more like blowing a bubble and it became a ball!

 Mr. Teacher Guy did some more spinning and trimming and cooling. Then...

Ta-da! Look what I made!! 

We all got to make one and we'll get them by the end of the trip to carefully take home. Very carefully!

I did have lots of pictures on my camera but I'm having connectivity issues tonight so I'll get to those another time, I guess. Just take my word for it that Rayna and Raylene created gorgeous ornaments, too. So much talent!

We left the Kingdom of Glass in midafternoon and headed back to our hotel -- with a 3-hour stop in Jonkoping for shopping and dinner at the harbor. I managed to make it through the day without buying anything!

Well, except for ice cream. That doesn't really count since ice cream and coffee are daily requirements here.

I knew I inherited those addictions from somewhere! SKOL!

No comments: