Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sisters in Scandi-hoovia :: Day 13

Our last full day abroad. Cue the tears. We had our final group outing. And, finally, it was warm enough I didn't need a jacket! I know it was a heat wave back home but I missed it and I want it there when I get home, welcoming me.

For our trip today we took a ferry ride to Stora Fjäderholmarna. I know. Easy for ME to say!

The Fjäderholmarna (English translation: Feather Islands) are a group of small islands in the Stockholm archipelago close to downtown Stockholm. The Fjäderholmarna consist of the four named islands -- including Stora Fjäderholmen -- and a bunch of smaller islets.


It only took about 20 minutes to ferry over and we had a few free minutes before lunch. The island is home to a number of craft workshops and stores, as well as several restaurants and cafes. Here's a few photos from the "commute" and the island...

Cool sculpture in the harbor.

Look! A lighthouse! Yes, I could live here. Between lighthouses, water, and ice cream, I'm set. Well, I need my brown-eyed guys and an income, too, but I can dream.


The island had a cool playground. You may have seen large chess sets before, but here they had a big tic-tac-toe set.

Plus a large board game setting for Aggravation or Sorry.

Technically, this is probably for the kids, too. But darn it, if I'm squeezing into the ice cream picnic table, then I'm getting a picture, too!

Getting our nautical fun on. 

I will miss all these cute signs, equipment, and decorations that I don't know how to read!

Since this is the site of an old fishing village, there were original and restored boats on display. Very cool.


This is where we had our last lunch together. Why yes, it was Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. Thanks for asking. And yes, there were lingonberries again, too. Yum.

The island included some dormant military equipment from the days it was off limits to the public and served as a military zone. Now the seagulls (and photographers) like them.

Busy day on the waters around Stockholm. What else is more appealing on a Sunday afternoon?

 Our trip leader Martin waiting on the group... again.

Our two fearless leaders -- Martin and his sister Anna. They are the best!


We got back to the area of Stockholm called Gamla Stan -- basically "old town" for several free hours to roam the historic sector of the city, shop, or go back to the hotel to pack or nap.

Raylene and I checked it out. There were so many things to see. The history of the buildings, architecture, and statues was mixed with quite the busy shopping scene.


We visited the Royal Palace, where several guards stood on duty. For looks anyway. There is definitely serious security types inside by all the artifacts.

Inside the Royal Chapel. Wow.

Remember how I said ice cream is part of the food pyramid here? Apparently Ben & Jerry's knew that. As much as I love it, I kept my treats as local and native as I could.

Just kidding. We skipped Ben & Jerry's but also skipped the reindeer surprise. Has some salted caramel-coconut gelato instead! Yes, we're quite aware our scales will be working overtime when we get back!

Had to pose by our lucky number. June 28 is just around the corner!

Narrow streets for eager shoppers. There were 6 different cruise ships docked in town this weekend!

Cool graffiti alleyway.

This is what happens when we're left unsupervised! I assured hubby we didn't buy these. Just borrowed them. Am trying not to bring too many extra things home.

How's that working out? Well, we packed as much as we could before our farewell dinner. So far Raylene and I don't think we'll be overweight. With luggage, that is!

At 7 p.m. we had our last meal together as a whole group. No fish or Swedish meatballs. We had chicken to help transition our stomachs to American food or something.

If was tough to think of it as a goodbye. Not only was the trip fun for all the new experiences and sight-seeing. We got to meet more than 2 dozen strangers who are now part of a big family. How awesome is that?

After dinner tonight we played cards again with the Iowa Sisters, as we call them. Managed to win a game but then go sloppy and tired. We gotta sleep fast tonight. Lene is off to the embassy at 7 a.m. or so. And the rest of us head to the airport at 10:30.

Hopefully all goes well so Lene can join the rest of her big family for the long ride home. Hold your thumbs (like the Swedes do for luck) and keep the prayers coming.




No comments: