Friday, August 24, 2018

And the Nest is Empty... Again


When I'm out of the country half of June and the College Man is working opposite shifts as me most of the time, I shouldn't be surprised that summer as we know it on Blue Jay Drive has come to an end.

Carter packed up the Civic – and I mean every square inch of space – and headed back to Platteville this afternoon. All by himself. The past two years, we've driven down there and dropped him (and all his stuff) off. That gave me 2 hours and 50 minutes to get used to the idea before saying goodbye. And another 2 hours and 50 minutes on the way home to cry about it.

Today was strange. Thankfully, the college junior was smart enough to wait until I got home from work before leaving. He knows we didn't get much time together this summer and also knows now that it's important to me.

He even obliged me with a goodbye photo. In our totally accidental matching shirts. Ha.


Even hubby was willing to pose like the hipster he is with our baby. How did I get so lucky with all these cool guys around?

After the boy hit the road, we went to the Assumption football game. Jim does stats. I take pictures and visit. It was rainy and chilly, though, so I left by halftime. One, I was trying to be smart and not stand too long. Two, I was trying to be smart and not get my camera wet since I have three senior photo shoots this weekend. And three, yes, I wanted to get to bed at a decent time.

Hubby says I can't close the windows – it's good sleeping weather! – so you know my side of the empty nest is heating up right now.  It helps with the chill and loneliness.

No comments: