Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Eagle Has Landed

One more in my continuing series for the church bulletin. This was from this past Sunday and fitting after last night's trip on the river...



The Eagle Has Landed

“He found him in a desert land, and in the howling waste of the wilderness; he encircled him, he cared for him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions, the Lord alone guided him, no foreign god was with him.” – Deuteronomy 32:10–12

I was on a stealth mission. I dipped my paddle in the water as gently as I could, quietly propelling myself forward. I was slowly inching toward him. Holding my breath. Striving to remain motionless. Camera around my neck. Ready to carefully raise it and shoot. Just a few more inches…

This is my typical method of sneaking up on eagles while kayaking on the Wisconsin River. I’m not one to be especially quiet so it’s a major success when I get close enough to take some beautiful photos of the majestic bird. I just can’t get enough!

I love and respect eagles. I should be scared of their sharp talons and beaks that can tear apart a human-sized animal. But I feel safe. And for good reason.

Some people say that when they see a cardinal, it is a visitor from heaven. I think the same of eagles. Maybe it’s because my dad loved nature and was so patriotic. Maybe because in his farewell address, Moses likened God to an eagle stirring up its nest. Either way, someone up there is watching over me.

When we think of eagles, we think keen vision, strength, and speed. But they have a softer side. Less commonly known, but equally notable, is the tenderness they show their young—a surprising characteristic for such fierce birds of prey. Did you know bald eagles tend to pair up for life, and they share parenting duties? The male and the female take turns incubating the eggs, and they both feed their young.

When I read the Bible, I think of God having two sides, too. In the Old Testament, He is formidable. There were nations of God-fearing people. No tender touches in sight. Yet in the New Testament, we see his softer side, too, through his son Jesus. We see a God of love, caring, and nurturing. As a mom, I prefer that side.

Take comfort in knowing that no matter what, God will encircle us, care for us, and keep us as the apple of His eye. Sort of like my dad and other visitors from heaven.

They help us soar.

No comments: