Friday, August 17, 2018

Drought Monitor


A local news channel released this recent Drought Monitor. The areas in yellow – which include Wood County just below and left of Stevens Point – are considered abnormally dry. While the new areas in tan are now upgraded to moderate drought.

I could have told you that! Our whole yard plus my effort at landscaping plants and flowers are dead. Brown. Dry. Dead. The Robyn Drought Monitor is off the charts.

But I'll take my crispy flowers to wildfires any day. This evening we had somewhat smoky skies again due to wildfires north and west. Like way north (Canada) and way west (California). That's crazy. Makes for a pretty picture but that's about it. C'mon rain clouds!

Granted I didn't want rain Wednesday due to golf. And probably it should skirt around Adams County to the south tomorrow when hubby has his big golf day. But other than that, break on open, clouds!

Since we didn't have rain, the opening of high school football kicked off tonight. The Royals were way down in Whitefish Bay (just north of Milwaukee), where I just heard they lost 9-6. Since I wasn't able to travel for that, I took some pictures of my friend Nicki's son playing for Port Edwards.

Here he is (#24) about to assist on a tackle. It was very strange watching 8-man football but a lot of smaller schools are turning to that these days to keep their program going. Port lost to Phillips, 38-8, but it was still fun to see my girlfriend – and see high school football again!

School is not in session yet but all the other fall sports will swing into action next week, too. Just in time for College Man to start his summer "vacation." Yup. Today was his last day at the paper mill. To say he is glad it's over is an understatement. But he did earn some decent cash this summer and had a life lesson about hot, dirty, manual labor.

I think a nice rain would be refreshing for ALL of us!

No comments: