Monday, January 28, 2019

Homebound and Hunkered Down


Although we only had 6 inches of snow (and counting) when I woke up this morning, I made the call to stay home. I know. With age comes wisdom. I had a few messages from friends who had already made the trek earlier than 6:30 a.m. and they all said: "Stay home!" You don't have to tell me twice on a Monday morning to roll over and go back to sleep.

By mid-morning, they had declared my route to work a Danger Zone anyway. And warned: Don't travel if you don't have to across central and southern Wisconsin today! Feel blessed I had the option to do that. Granted, I'd rather take vacation in the summer. But I also would rather not be in the ditch. It's a balancing act.

I spent most of the day in my office anyway. Here's the view with snow piling up on the deck.

 I think all totaled we got 8 inches here. Sun peaked out in early afternoon and, though it was forecast to snow until 6 p.m., it quit. So I suppose I could have gave it an effort to go in for half a day. But the plows didn't come 'til later anyway.

Went to get the mail when the plow was done and had to take a picture of Carter's car parked in the yard. Just to show him what he's missing. That and projected -50 degree windchills in Platteville on Wednesday. Yowza.

As a bonus today, since we were home in the afternoon, we got to do a video call with Carter before he went to bed. We didn't have our Sunday night call because he was in Munich all weekend and got back to Heidelberg really late. What a treat to SEE him! He's doing well, learning a lot, and having fun.

Here's our driveway, which only seems long in the winter! Bless my hubby for handling all the snow removal. I did have a very productive day between church and freelance projects, plus personal filing. Not exciting but I wonder when I would have gotten to that this week.

Probably one of these evenings when we're homebound and hunkered down again – for the deep freeze. Not snow.

I think the meteorologist on the Weather Channel said it best today when talking about the upper Midwest: "Bless those people for living there!"

No comments: