Saturday, January 19, 2019

Starting to Shovel Out


While much of southern Wisconsin got a good dumping of snow overnight, we just had enough in central Wisconsin to require shoveling. I mean, if you're anal about having your driveway clear. You could still drive through it but why not shovel on a nice sunny, 11-degree day?

Since hubby was in town officiating a basketball tournament all day, I had the house to myself. He claims he has an app that alerts him when I've watched and erased a Hallmark movie off the DVR. Ha. But I honestly didn't sit around watching movies and eating ice cream and bon bons.

I did my Saturday chores of the typical sweeping, dusting, vacuuming variety. Got some photos uploaded from middle school hoops the other day. Then decided that it wasn't going to get much warmer out, so I donned my Minnesota Twins trooper hat and got shoveling. I actually worked up a sweat. Probably all the layers. The snow itself was pretty light so not terribly hard work. Just tedious.

Plenty of thinking time about what I should do in the house to sincerely start that decluttering and organization business.

Although I would have rather sat in a kitchen chair that doubles as a "beach chair" when the sun hits it just right, I decided to do something.

I started with the kitchen cupboards. Not the dishes ones. But the food ones. Went through every one, throwing out expired food. I know. It's shameful and embarrassing that people are starving and I am throwing out food. Some food is probably pretty OK after expiration dates. But not when they're 2016 or 2017. Yup. I don't do this often enough!

It went pretty quickly even though I had to take things out of boxes so I could breakdown the cardboard for recycling. Didn't have as much as I thought we might. But I did do this a few years ago. And we have a lot less food in the cupboards since it's just two of us here.

So that was step one. I decided to sit down and watch movie after that. If you haven't seen Dumplin' on Netflix – featuring Jennifer Aniston and the music of Dolly Parton – you should see it. Good story. Very good message!

Now hubby's home and I'm going to sit in the recliner opposite his and maybe think about what I'll tackle tomorrow. Eventually, I'll get shoveled out.


No comments: